what I am going to say from now on may seem petty to other persons who have been through my course or who are related to it .but at this point of time to me ,to me its a real great event in which I am very happy to be a part of .
One week ago I was posted in labor room that is where the normal deliveries occur. The first three days were uneventful and I witnessed some 10 normal deliveries and two caesarean sections (that is the surgery done to remove the baby from the womb if it does not or cannot come out normally).on the forth day something really interesting happened.
A woman was in labor with severing pains associated with contractions. The baby was descending and as time progressed the woman was unable to give the necessary contractions to push the baby out of her womb. If the baby remains in the womb for a long time after the onset of labor the problem is that the baby takes in more fluid which will suppress her respiratory effort on coming out. So after waiting for sometime the staff nurse gave her an excision at the entry of the uterus to deliver the baby easily and I was pushing from above to assist the descent of the baby. After our sustained effort the baby was delivered.
Now was the problem.
The baby wouldn’t breathe .this was an emergency and the baby which must have been pink
Was turning blue
The situation was real tense .and this was the first time that I was in real emergency situation. And believe even though I had nothing to do apart from donning the role of a spectator, I was really excited for being in the situation.
then immediately the baby was lifted vertically with the legs up and head down ,so as to facilitate the down flow of the liquid obstructing the airways into the mouth, and the secretions that were being pooled were being sucked out with the use of a rubber sucker. This was being done by the house surgeons. The nurse that was holding the baby upside down was repeatedly rubbing on the back of the baby to stimulate respiratory effort from the muscles of the chest wall. With this maneuver failing ,the staff nurse slapped the back of the baby real hard, for which even most of us would have felt the pain .imagine this being done to a baby who is not even minutes old. But still the baby wouldn’t cry. That signifying the absence of respiration
The situation was really bad.
Immediately the baby was put into an oxygen mask. The house surgeon was frantic in his efforts to manually compress the chest wall so as to promote breathing and the nurse was contracting the oxygen inhaler .now the baby was giving out some moans which indicated slight improvement. And this induced the nurse to go back to her procedure of rubbing the back and then giving the baby a spank on her back, this time even harder. All this time the baby had an oxygen tube in her nose.
This time the baby gave a big cry. And all of were really happy the nurse, the internee and we also could give out a sigh of relief. The first time anybody should feel happy for hearing a cry is in this place.
And I am sure nobody of you but for those who are in my field can even imagine such a situation.
To us who are in this field it is a routine procedure even though not so common, and don’t think I am exaggerating
and that’s why the next time anyone comes to me boasting about your salary, your visas , your easy way of life just remember
u cant save lives ,I can.
Ok maybe I am talking a bit more but now I am sure that I am in the profession that I want to be, maybe I can’t enjoy what all I do but I am happy at what I am going to do.
That took a long time for me to write and it must take some time for you to read. Please go through this and spare some time to give your feedback whatever it is and I will feel very happy if you respond
No comments:
Post a Comment